Financial assistance

We are aware that the cost of keeping a child in school is considerable but we want all students to be able to take part in the full range of opportunities the school can offer. Financial assistance may be available for school meals, uniform, music fees and school trips and visits.

Free School Meals

There is an automated renewals process for those already receiving free school meals and there is therefore no need to inform Hertfordshire County Council that your child is moving to a new school. New applicants can apply online or by phoning the Customer Service Centre on 0300 123 4048 (8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, 9am - 4pm Saturday).

Uniform - we are very fortunate in Hitchin to have the support of the Hitchin Educational Foundation. The Rand's Foundation also helps pupils, particularly those residing in Holwell, Pirton, Ickleford and Lower Stondon. Parents who wish to apply for help to purchase the uniform should complete and return this form to the address shown on the form.

Remission of music fees - Students qualifying for Free School Meals and/or certain other benefits may be able to receive financial support for music tuition. Details can be found on the Hertfordshire Music Service site. Applications should be made as soon as possible by applying online or by calling the HCC Customer Service Centre on 0300 123 4048 and asking for help with music fees. Please notify Mrs White in the Music Department if you have applied for a remission of fees.

School trips and visits - charges may be remitted in the case of students whose parents are in receipt of certain family benefits when the activity is within school hours and/or is a requirement of a syllabus covered by the national curriculum. Further details can be found on this website under Information & Policies –> School Policies -> Charging Policy. The Charging Policy is updated each year and is subject to change.

16 – 19 Bursary Fund

If you are aged between 16 and 19 years and think you might struggle with the costs for full-time education, you may be eligible to receive a bursary. The 16 - 19 bursary fund is made available from the government to provide assistance to students whose access to, or completion of, education is inhibited by financial constraints or barriers. There are two types of bursaries:

  • Vulnerable bursary (of up to £1,200 a year): for a small group of the most vulnerable students.
  • Discretionary bursary: distributed according to school policy to meet individual student’s needs.
Vulnerable Bursary

This group includes:

  • Students in care
  • Students leaving care
  • Students receiving Income Support or Universal Credit because they are financially supporting themselves, or financially supporting themselves plus someone who is dependent on them and living with them, such as a child or partner
  • Students receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in their own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in their own right

Evidence of eligibility will be required for the vulnerable student bursary, for example, a letter detailing the entitlement benefits or written confirmation of current or previous looked after status.

Discretionary Bursary

Students facing genuine financial difficulties and who do not meet the criteria for a Vulnerable Bursary, may be awarded a Discretionary Bursary to help them with the cost of travel, books, equipment, school trips etc. The amount that can be awarded depends on each student’s individual circumstances, their actual level of financial need and how many students in total are claiming. The discretionary bursary will be assessed against household income and benefits received. A list of evidence required is detailed in the application form.

Payment of Bursaries
  • Students eligible for the 16-19 Bursary must meet the criterion of 100% attendance unless the absence is authorised by the school. The school can withhold payment if this criterion is not met
  • The bursary will be paid monthly
  • Bursaries will be paid by bank transfer
  • They can ONLY be made into an account held by the student. NO payments can be made into the accounts of parents/ guardians
Application Procedure

Students who believe they are entitled to a bursary should complete the application form on the right and return it to the Sixth Form Office (marked Private and Confidential and addressed to the School Business Manager), providing evidence of the qualifying criteria. All applications are considered on an individual basis and will be confidential. Students will be notified in writing once their application has been given consideration. We will try to let all applicants know if they have been awarded a bursary as soon as possible.

Email links not working?

If the email links do not work your email client may not be setup correctly or you are browsing in guest / incognito mode. In that case please use the relevant email address in your preferred email client.

If you use a web based email client like gmail, setting up your browser can be tricky so we created some instructions here that may help.